Clint Eastwood has been a great influence on moviegoers all around the world. Much like his transformation from Spaghetti Westerns to Urban cool characters, his foray into Direction had been spontaneous. The whole argument of him being a better Actor or better Director does not seem to end anytime soon. So we took it upon ourselves to bring to you movies where Actor Clint Eastwood Directed himself. Here we go :
1. Play Misty For Me (1971) – Clint Eastwood made his debut as a Director and also played his first urban character with this Psychological thriller. Jessica Walters takes away the cake in this one under Clint’s direction. The movie is on the simliar lines as Misery (1990). Clint may not have scored here as an actor but he did make his mark as an upcoming Director.
2. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) – The Outlaw Josey Wales is an important movie in the revisionist western or the anti-western genre. The movie makes for a great revenge drama and besides his skills as a master director shows Clint as an expressive actor too.
3. Unforgiven (1992) – The Unforgiven is a genre-defining western and a souvenir of sorts for the younger lot who did not witness Clint Eastwood’s work in the 60s and 70s. The movie has some great performances by Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and a real ‘mean’ one by Gene Hackman.
The movie, his last appearance in a Western was dedicated to his mentors Don Siegel & Sergio Leone.
4. The Bridges of Madison County (1995) – No one knew Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep would compliment each other so well until they saw The Bridges of Madison County. The movie based on Robert James Waller’s novel is a mature romantic drama backed by some great performances from both Clint and Meryl.
5. Million Dollar Baby (2004) – Clint Eastwood teams up with ‘best man’ Morgan Freeman to train Hillary Swank in this sports drama. The movie is about Frankie, an underappreciated boxing trainer who reluctantly trains an amateur lady boxer into becoming a professional. Hillary Swank took home her second Oscar and Morgan Freeman his first.
6. Gran Torino (2008) – Gran Torino is probably the only Clint Eastwood movie where he carries the entire movie on his shoulders. He is believable a widowed Korean war veteran who despite initial hostility ultimately ends up forming a relationship with his neighbour. Makes for a great watch on a lazy summer afternoon.